Hello! my name is Ric J. Napisa. I am a nursing student at La Guardia Community College.I am currently in my first semester in nursing.

I recall when I first came into the United States, I thought I was going to have a good life , not that I do not have right now, but after 2 months from the day I came in I went in and took a job on a health care services, where my mother and my older sister used to work,  at Allen Health Care Services. We were at Jamaica, Queens at that time. I knew I was going to work eventually but not that soon. I was 18 yrs. old back then. That was the start of my health care profession. I never thought i had the guts to take care of patients but then I found myself sinking to the idea. And I took the job just for the sake to have one.

When I was doing that I was 5 ft. and weight 105 lbs.. I remember I used to push this 6 ft. 3 in. guy on his wheelchair, in his apartment, on the street, when buying food at the deli store, when going to his appointment in the nearby clinic, and get a beating by the end of the day. The guy was heavy. On that day I told myself "I have to move on and make myself better than this." As days passed by the guy became increasingly verbally abusive and after 2 months of service I told the company that I am not taking care of the guy anymore and determined to go to school. So I quit and went to school.

During that time, Electronics was my holy grail. I was really passionate about the course and signed myself to do 2 years, equivalent for an associate degree. I finished the course in a breeze, completing it within 5 semesters. I then worked as an electronic technician in an alarm company. It was good. I even thought that was going to be my job for the rest of my life. 2 yrs. have passed and then recession strikes. The work in the company slowly diminished. The company eventually had to decide whether to lay off employees or go down with deteriorating job market. Of course as one of the newest employee, I had to go first with some coworkers. Sad but that is reality.

I ended up not working for over 6 months. I stayed at home feeling like a freeloader. It was my parent’s apartment anyway. Sooner or later, I got bored and decided to find another job. My mother recommended me to work in a hospital. No other choice- because of what happened before- I decided to go with it. Although not my territory, I went with a strong heart. I soon got the job and started working.  

Funny the profession that I decided not to get involved with is the profession where I am right now. I found myself back to the health care service. All this time if I knew, I should have stayed and continue going to school and probably finished bachelor’s degree.

I do not like it but every day as I learn the back bone of nursing, one by one I find myself picking up the good things and slowly starting to like it. I come from a different field of background but that does not mean I cannot learn to love the course that I am in right now. I have seen people doing it and I can do it too.    

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandhi