Alisson Guizan

Graduated: Spring 2017

Major: Double Major English & Education

Extra Curricular Activity: Student Success Partner in ASAP

Career Goal: To be a Special Education Teacher

Transferred To: Hunter College

The first semester was difficult, being on my own in a new environment in which I had to get a custom too. The classes were much larger with students from eighty to two hundred. When I had a question and I went to my assigned advisor she said, “What do you want”. I began my first semester by taking seven classes along with my internship which was challenging because I did not know what to expect coming from LaGuardia to Hunter. My classes were much more intense and I definitely had to look for help, I began to study in groups and I also had to visit the writing center. There were many resources available on campus but I had to be aware of my surroundings and emails. They had many activities to welcome new incoming students and during finals week they had professionals giving free massages and manicures along with other stress-free methods. Overall it was a new experience but the beginning of a new start.

Before transferring I recommend going to the campus and learning your way around the college. For example, where each building is located and important resources like where advisement is located, the library, the labs, the tutoring rooms, and look for the nearest bathrooms and food places. If available take a tour of the campus before starting and always make sure to check blackboard before classes begin because you might have assignments due before the first day of class and make sure you have your textbooks.