"Success is not achieving a goal without hardship but rather successfully achieving the goal despite those hardships."

- Linda Matias

Most sixteen year olds are concerned about high school, dating and which team will win the super bowl. But being a first generation immigrant living on my own I was more concerned about earning a living to support myself. With the rest of my family living in Yemen I needed to find a job so that I could pay rent and other expenses. Living in a city as big as New York I often felt lost, I have no family living with me in NYC and I am the first member of my family to graduate from High School. I never had anyone to explain to me the importance of college and some people even told me that I was better off not going and just working. Going to college was such a difficult task for me. Language barriers, financial concerns and the lack of time were all obstacles that I had to face before I could attend college. I often felt like giving up but I knew that no goal is worth reaching without hardships. Today I am a student at LaGuardia Community College pursuing an Associates of Science in Computer Science and I am expecting to graduate in June 2014. In my ePortfolio, you will find my story where you will know more about me and my achievements   while I am attending college. Please take the time to view my full eporfolio and contact me if you have any questions regarding my eportfolio or my work.