Welcome to my e-portfolio. I’m Rabeya Akter an OTA student of LaGuardia Community College. I’m from Bangladesh. I love watching movies and listening Indian and Bengali music. I love to help people. So far I have finished my first and second field work in LifeSpire. It was a great experience to work with psych consumers. I had to work under the supervision of OT and OTA. My goal is to graduate from LAGCC as an OTA so I can help mentally and physically ill consumers to achieve their functioonal goals.

OT journey essay:

My name is Rabeya Akter. I’m a student of LaGuardia community college. My major is occupational therapy assistant. I choose this major because I love to help people. I want to help my clients to achieve their maximum levels in areas of occupations such as ADL, IADL, work, play, leisure and sleep. Also I want to help clients to improve their sensory motor skills, praxis skills, socialization skills and so on. The first time when I heard about occupational therapy I was thinking about physical therapy. I thought OT is also same as PT. Then I searched on the internet to find out what is occupational therapy. I found occupational therapy enables people to achieve their maximum levels in all areas of occupation.

When I was browsing for choosing a major I thought about physical therapy.  I asked so many people about that. Then my brother-in law who is a COTA advised me to go for OT. He helped me to make my decision. At first I was a student in Nassau community college. Then I transfer to LaGuardia community college to become an OTA. Now I’m perusing to graduate from LAGCC as an occupational therapy. My goal is to help people in all areas of occupation through my therapeutic knowledge. I want to work with people who have physical disability, mental disability and sensory and motor dysfunction.

I hope I will graduate in September 2011 and start a new career.

Click here to see OT journey video

ot journey.wmv