My Connections

1.) Downtown Community Television Center -

"DCTV is a media arts center that fosters diverse viewpoints by providing professional training, state-of-the-industry resources, and by creating outstanding documentary productions, with the belief that diversity of expression strengthens our democracy and enhances civil society. DCTV is the most honored independent nonprofit media center in the nation. Its productions, reaching millions of viewers each year, have received one Academy Award Nomination, 15 National Emmy Awards, 3 duPont-Columbia Awards, and every other major award in the television field." (from dctvny.org)

DCTV is also home to Pro-TV, a nationally recognized Youth Media program. Most of my filmmaking skills I acquired here at DCTV's Pro-TV program. We learned how to shoot, produce and edit a short documentary. The short documentary that I helped produce at DCTV, "Voices: Hearing the Homeless" screened at several film festivals around the country.

2. National Association of Latino Independent Producers (NALIP) -

"The National Association of Latino Independent Producers (NALIP) is a national membership organization that addresses the professional needs of Latino/Latina independent producers. NALIP is the first such effort aimed at Latino production in thirty years, and it is the first to last more than one year and to provide ongoing support for the Latino independent film and video makers. We stand as the premiere Latino media organization, addressing for twelve years the most underrepresented and the largest ethnic minority in the country." (from nalip.org)

I was a member of NALIP in 2008, and got a chance to go to their yearly conference that takes place in Southern California. It was a great experience, got to attend great, informative panels and learned a lot about the industry and how it works. It was also inspiring to meet a large number of influential and creative Latinos that are thriving in the entertainment industry. I definitely plan to attend another conference in the future.

3.) Film Courage-

"Film Courage is a website and radio show focusing on DIY approaches to indie filmmaking." (filmcourage.com)

Film Courage is a site that I visit daily. What I appreciate most about this site is that they present the hurdles and difficulties that a independent filmmaker goes through. They show various videos and post several articles that address and find solutions to some of these hurdles. It's a great site for both beginning and veteran filmmakers.

4.) Variety -

"Recognized and respected through out the world of show business, Variety is the premier source of entertainment news. Since 1905, the most influential leaders in the industry have turned to Variety for timely, credible and straight forward news and analysis – information vital to their professions." (from variety.com)

One piece of advice that I've recieved is "read the trades". As someone that is pursuing a career in media and entertainment, I check Variety to keep up with the news and trends of the industry. 

5.) Mandy.com - "[Mandy.com is] the first database of film/tv technicians and facilities on the web; we get 5 million impressions per month, and are listed in the first page in a Google search for film production." (from mandy.com)

As a freelance video editor, looking for clients/work is a normal part of the job. Mandy has one of the job databases in the industry. They send their subscribers a weekly job posting list and also allows you to create a profile and redirects clients to your profile depending on what they are looking for. It's a fantastic tool. 

My Favorite ePortfolios

1.) Angelica Wolan's ePortfolio -

Angelica is a friend and classmate of mine. I chose her ePortfolio because I enjoy the design choices she went with and I also think her ePortfolio is reflective of her personality and career choices.

2.) Ashley Arocho's ePortfolio -

I chose Ashley’s ePortfolio because she’s also a friend and former co-worker of mine. What I like about Ashley’s ePortfolio is that it has a very minimalist design, but yet it is very informative about what she wants to do and the goals she wants to accomplish. Straight and to the point.