Preparing for Advisement
Each semester you will take part in advising in several different ways. There will be times when you meet with an advisor individually or in a group with other students in your major. To make the most of your advising appointment prepare in advance; take the following steps.
- Log into your Student Advisement Degree Audit (access through the CUNY Portal, https://cunyportal.cuny.edu) and look it over.
- Review the courses you have completed and how they fit into your curriculum.
- Make a list of the courses you are ready to take in the upcoming semester.
- Review your unofficial transcript on CUNYFirst (http://laguardia.edu/CUNYfirst/CUNY-First-Students/)
-If your GPA is 3.0 or higher you’re doing very well. You can ask your advisor about taking an Honor’s class (GPA of 3.2 needed), joining LaGuardia’s Honor Society; applying for scholarships to help fund your studies at LaGuardia and upon transfer to a senior college.
-If your GPA is 2.9 or lower discuss ways to improve your grades with your advisor.
- Fewer than 30 credits? Discuss your career plan with your advisor. If you’re not sure what career you want to pursue you can start your eCareer Plan at www.lagcc.cuny.edu/ecareer and complete Tabs 3 and 4 before seeing your advisor. You can also attend a career planning group.
- More than 30 credits? Discuss your transfer plans with an advisor. You can also visit Transfer Services in B-215.
- Preparing for graduation? If you have 45 credits ask your advisor for a “graduation check” to be sure you are on track for graduation.
- Are you concerned about financing your education? You can talk to staff in the Single Stop in C-107. If you are looking for employment you can go to Career Planning and Employment Services.
What else is on your mind? Make a list of questions you want to ask your advisor. You advisor may refer you to other resources on campus, so ask anything you’d like!