Growing up in the beautiful country of Romania, during the tormented years of the communist era, I encountered many challenges that shaped my personality and enabled me to develop a strong character based on family values. My mother is my inspiration and my role model, because even though she became a single mother soon after I was born, she managed to do a magnificent job caring for me, my sister, and my grandparents, worked hard, and always found time to lend a helping hand to others. 

I always tried to do my best, and even in a time of oppression and ambiguous future I never stoped dreaming, I maintained my hope and optimism. Practical concerns lead me to opt for profession of dental technician, I got a job in the field, even a second job in the hospitality industry, trying to be financially independent, but the economic and political events at that time made it very hard to achieve all of my goals. Fortunately, after a while, I got an exciting opportunity to work for an American  Cruise Line, which offered me the chance to travel around the world and to connect with people from various ethnic backgrounds and different cultures. I made many, many friends and have tones of memories.

In 2003, I came to New York and started my family. I have two wonderful daughters and I dedicated the last few years completely to them. But after a while, I felt that something was missing in my life, and it has to do a lot with the values my mother planted into my heart.  I always wanted to be able to help other people coming from socially, politically or economically deprived backgrounds to defeat their fears and pursue their dreams. I realized that in order to help others, the first step would be to expand my education here in the United States of America.

My journey at LaGuardia Community College started in 2011, and I can confidently say that it was one of the best decisions of my life. This is my fourth semester and so far I have managed to excel academically. I couldn't have done it without the valuable support offered by LaGuardia’s Early Childhood Learning Center and guidance provided by amazing professors.