LaGuardia's United Nation Student Club

"We invite you to join forces with UNICEF to help more children around the world survive to celebrate their fifth birthdays".

Image source

I am a proud member of Laguardia's United Nation student Club, where we took on the project tackling the UNICEF's challenge which involves researching causes and finding solutions to reduce the mortality rate of children from preventable causes. Our team decided to address the water scarcity in northeast of Brazil, presently suffering from the worst drought in last 50 years. Water scarcity in this region has the disastrous effect of spreading diseases, and it is one of the major causes of mortality in children under five years old. I am very excited to learn from UNICEF’s global network and resources while attempting to find possible solutions to this important issue.

Honor Student Advisory Committee 

In the spring 2013 semester, I joined the Honor Student Committee Advisory, where I volunteer for the first annual event on April 17th, which hosted a fundraiser for the communities that are still recovering from hurricane Sandy. I am looking forward to participating in more events organized by HSAC.

Images sources

EPortfolio Showcase, 31 January, 2013 

In January 2013, I was invited to participate in LaGuardia's e-Portfolio Showcase as one of the student presenters.  It was a great experience and a great honor to be able to explain the process of creating an e-Portfolio to other students and its importance in academic and professional growth.

Phi Theta Kappa-Honor Society

I am a member of Phi Theta Kappa  Honor Society since May 25, 2012 and I am trying to get  involved in their activities by volunteering at the induction ceremony and by participating at PTK' s meeting and events. As a member, I can also benefit from scholarship opportunities to continue my education.

Laguardia's Math Society

Image source

During my studies at LaGuardia, I joined Student Math Society and took part in some of the events, training sessions and professional talks. As a result, Prof. Baishanski invited me to participate in the prestigious national American Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges mathematics competition. I am looking forward to participating in many more students’ activities pursuing higher-level math study.

P.S.175 The Lynn Gross Discovery School

P.S 175 is the Public school my two daughters attend. I am trying to volunteer as much as I can for diverse school activities, such as fundraising events, field trips, "Read Aloud day", plants or books sale, "International food day", "Spirit day", etc. I am immensely grateful to the amazing teachers from this school. They are doing a fantastic job modeling the minds and characters of our young children. I would like to take this opportunity to thank them and all the amazing teachers, professors, tutors and instructors out there for their hard work and dedication.    

Academic Peer Instruction

Image source

I joined the Academic Peer Instruction program in order to give back to LaGuardia community that helped me achieve success. As an accounting tutor, I have been trying my best to help other students improve their academic results, aiming to motivate them to always try their best not only in accounting, but in all other subjects. Being able to guide students towards success gave me an incredible feeling. My own confidence has greatly increased, as has my desire to help students, and I am eager to continue working with API program in the future.