About me

The decision of which career I wanted to choose was very difficult for me. I was a student in Ecuador and decided I would come back to New York and choose a major in Environmental Engineering, but once I arrived  in New York and went to a couple of colleges, I discovered so many different careers and I wanted to be all sorts of things. Some of the careers I was looking into were Culinary Arts, Medicine, Criminal justice and psychology. All options were very good, but I had to decide which career I was most passionate about. I did plenty of research, met with a lot of different counselors from different schools and programs. I sat at home with a bunch of pamphlets and thought to myself, which career will keep me motivated, content, and satisfied salary wise? I asked myself will I change my mind after I graduate.  I also asked myself what I saw myself enjoying in the next 20years. All these questions floated above my head.

After careful consideration and weeks of research and questions I decided the career I was most passionate about was psychology. I have seen and experienced how psychology has helped friends and family through rough times in their life. Like myself, I lost my father at 8yrs old. He was involved in a horrible car accident. My father was my life; at that age I didn’t understand why I wasn’t going to see him anymore. My mother saw how my studies were falling back; my enthusiasm for enjoying life wasn’t there. Our lawyer suggested she had a psychologist see me. I met with a psychologist and she helped me so much. I will always miss my father, but she helped me understand that life goes on and he will always be with me. It took so many years to understand and heal the pain of not having my father around and I will always be thankful to her for helping me see that life is still amazing, maybe a little painful but life goes on. I would love nothing more than to help people in that way or many other different ways as long as I can help them live a happier, healthier and a clearer understanding of their life. I love giving my friends advices to the best of my knowledge; I enjoy listening to people give advices and learn from different problems.

During my first semester at LaGuardia I noticed that Psychology was not for me because even though I love to help people in many ways I just was not passionate enough about the career so I decided to change my major and go for Travel Tourism and Hospitality Management. This was a major change for me but after my first week of classes I was so excited I loved my classes they were all very exciting and full of new information about the society we live in now, so I can say I was hooked. And now I am currently looking for internships that will help me develop skills and interact in a professional environment where I can meet the right people and hopefully make connections with other students like me. 

FOTO CREDIT: My Personal Collection