Denise Aikens

When I think of myself I can see that that my biggest quality is that i have drive. I have always known what I am going to do next and how am I going to accomplish thinks. It is very important to me that, when I want to do something, that I finish it. I am not a person who easily gives up. I am a fighter and a hard worker. Used to have 2-3 jobs I am currently working only at 2, going to school, having a husband and 2 dogs. On top of that i have to find time to study, which takes a lot of energy out of me, but I am always looking forwards to be successful in what I am doing. Nothing should suffer, but I know to be realistic that sometimes certain things are difficult to handle or someone is being left out. But at the end I know it’s worth it, because when I finish school with a really good GPA, I have the chance to get a really good position in the job i want with a good salary. And that’s why I am working very hard. It is my life and my future and I can rest later.

I started out being an exchange student to learn English in Texas when I was only 15. I left my family and moved far away to study something English, which was very important to me, because i was very bad in it. After that I finished my degree in Germany as a dental assistant and worked for 3 years for a Dental office. We did dental surgeries and implants. I found out that the anatomy and the way the human body works very much gained my interested to know more about it. 2007-2008 I moved to Atlanta to be an Au Pair, also to learn more English and get to know more about America and College, which I was attending but only to take English classes. I am a person who is very driven by opportunities. During my long journey of collecting life experiences and kind of figuring out who I am and what I want for my future made me realize, no matter how old a person is or what different kind of jobs one has done, it only shows me what I want for the future.

When I had the opportunity to attend college here in New York and was able to start Biology as my major, I was overly excited and scared at the same time. I know I wanted to become a Physician Assistant but I started also gaining interest in actually being a Physician. But to make my final decision I will give myself a little more time. I questioned myself, can I make it? Or am I not to old? But no, I had more drive and energy than ever. I wanted to start to filling up my brain with information and material that I can use to educate myself. Of course I know that the field I am choosing is not easy, but I know I want to do it and that takes discipline and effort I have to work for. I come from a normal German family, no doctors of any kind. I will hopefully be the first one, since I want to become a PA. I know only in America i could be a PA, since in Germany there is no such things as PA's. My goal is it to get a really good GPA, I don’t want to be just average, I want to be great. Life is all about figuring out how you accomplish something and when. Most important thing is to be focus and patient. Nothing happens fast, everything takes time and effort. And i will give myself as much time as necessary to be excellent in what I decide to become at the end.