Artist Statement

As an artist I learned that every image or piece of art one creates is not only art but an experience. It takes experiential learning to create it and from observation of the piece it can create a separate interactive experience for the viewer. I am still learning and experimenting with different mediums but the main two I enjoy and wish to continue improving would be painting and illustration. My love for comics and storybooks have inspired me to draw realistic characters and  motivated me to want to create stories for them. But I also love to paint. As a student learning to manipulate color with paint has taught me to improve my drawing skills and illustrate in paintings.

One of my favorite artists was Michael Turner who worked at Top Cow Comics. His use of colors and realistic looking characters have taught me to look at illustration and comics in a different perspective. I like to create characters that look realistic or have symbolic meaning that communicate human struggle or spiritual experiences. His comic characters and exceptional skills in drawing portray similar elements as those that I am interesting in creating. As a female, I am also interested in drawing and painting bold female characters which is something Michael Turner did in most of his comics. He created multiple female characters such as Fathom, Soulfire, and the Magdalena. I would like to incorporate real experiences and create characters that can display these stories to the viewer. 

As well as some other artist, sculptors, and painters who have influenced me are Romare Bearden and his collages of different mediums, Gian Lorenzo Bernini and his smooth realistic sculptures, Caravaggio and his style of chiarascuro, Michelangelo his multi talented skills, and some post-impressionist painters such as Picasso, Van Gogh, Paul Cezanne and Claude Monet.                                                                                          

Photo on the Left Image Source: comic art community 

Photo on the Right Image Source: Personal Collection