A very important thing I learned in the ePortfolio Scholars program was how to present myself in a clear and focused way. This is a problem for me, because my background and interests are diverse and seemingly unrelated. Going through the process of finalizing my About Me helped me refine my story and how it related to my current studies at LaGuardia. 

Developing my Educational and Careers Goals reflection was particularly challenging. Going through the process of writing, rewriting and reviewing it at the writing center helped me really think through what I wanted to do (with my life). The draft I took to the writing center was filled with reasons why I thought I couldn’t be a successful money manager and some tangential reasons why I could. It was pointed out to me by the writing center reviewer that I hadn’t connected what I was studying at LaGuardia to my goals and that I wasn’t assertive in envisioning my future.

It's hard to achieve something if you don't believe it's possible. Without that belief it's unlikely that you'll put in the sustained effort necessary to make your dreams a reality. Through writing, reflecting and reviewing, I've realized that I lacked belief in myself. Not that it's unimportant to be aware of pitfalls and traps, but that and other fears can't overwhelm my sense of the inevitability of achieving my goals.