Professional Development Plan

My professional development plan is to first graduate from LaGuardia with a Bilingual Education Associates Degree. After I accomplish this I’ll transfer to City College to get my Bachelor’s Degree. At the same time I’ll be taking my State Certification Exams.  The tests that I need to take in order to become an elementary public schools teacher are the LAST, ATS-W, CST, and the BEA.

• LAST (Liberal Arts and Sciences Test)

The LAST consists of multiple-choice questions and a written assignment. Examinees are asked to demonstrate conceptual and analytical skills, critical-thinking and communication skills, and multicultural awareness. The test covers scientific, mathematical, and technological processes; historical and social scientific awareness; artistic expression and the humanities; communication and research skills; and written analysis and expression.

• (ATS–W) Elementary Assessment of Teaching Skills—Written

The Elementary ATS–W consists of multiple-choice questions and a written assignment. The Elementary ATS–W measures professional and pedagogical knowledge at the Early Childhood (birth–grade 2) and Childhood (grades 1–6) levels.

• Content Specialty Tests (CSTs)

The CSTs (except those for languages other than English) consist of multiple-choice questions and a written assignment. The CSTs for languages other than English include recorded listening and/or speaking components and writing components. The American Sign Language CST includes video-recorded signing components. CSTs measure knowledge and skills in the content area of the candidate's field of certification. Refer to "Test Selection" for information about specific CSTs.

• Bilingual Education Assessments (BEAs)

The BEAs consist of multiple-choice questions and constructed-response assignments. They include recorded listening and speaking components in English and include listening, speaking, reading, and writing components in the target language. The BEAs are required of candidates seeking a bilingual education extension to a certificate. Refer to "Test Selection" for information about specific BEAs.