INTRODUCTION

To veiw my Nursing Capstone ePortfolio, please click here.

Hillary Josefsberg is my name and it is my privilege to state that I am a LaGuardia Community College Nursing student.

Owing to the downturn in the economy that began at the end of 2008, I was “down-sized” from my Administrative Assistant position with a large international banking conglomerate.  With the advent of [and advances in] technology, corporate institutions have been systematically phasing out administrative support personnel.  It became apparent that my function in the corporate world was becoming obsolete.  Having spent the majority of my working career as support staff for major financial institutions, I was at a loss for what to do next.  I found myself unemployed, and basically unmarketable in today’s business climate.  Necessity presented the impetus to investigate new directions.

Faced with the bowl of lemons that life so graciously handed me, I decided to roll up my sleeves and make lemonade!  I am viewing my current situation as the golden opportunity of a lifetime.  To make my dream of achieving a formal education a reality, I decided to begin my journey of acquiring knowledge at LaGuardia Community College.  To quote Florence Nightingale: “Were there none who were discontented with what they have, the world would never reach anything better.” 

Very few of us are fortunate enough to discover a new path in life, and so, I am embracing this exciting opportunity to reinvent myself.  Experiencing an overwhelming desire to travel in this direction, I chose to aggressively pursue the possibilities of a career in Nursing.  After achieving excellent grades in my pre-clinicals, I was ecstatic to learn that I was to be accorded a coveted seat in LaGuardia Community College’s Associate Degree Nurse Program. 

During my academic journey, I discovered an unbridled passion for learning.  Upon completion of my Associates Degree, it is my intention to continue

my education and earn my BSN.