Introduction

My name is Rachel Malik, I live in the beautiful city of Brooklyn, New York with my family for the past eleven years. My hobbies are looking at movies, traveling which I intend to do some more of in the future especially in Caribbean, but most off all I cannot forget my ballroom dancing which keeps me very happy and in shape. I also started to incorporate walking as a routine three to four times a week on a regular basic in the park because I realize that exercise is one of the most important keys to good health in life. Being the positive person that I am, I always motivate the people that are around me especially my sons, words like no or cannot is not a part of my vocabulary. Helping people have always been a part of who I am. One of my favorite quotes is "kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see" (Mark Twain). That why nursing comes more of a passion than a profession to me. I transferred to LaGuardia Community College this summer to pursue my certificate as a LPN because I heard that they had the best program in New York City for LPN and so far find the source and research to be true and there nursing program to be of excellence stature.

I was born in the Caribbean Island of Trinidad and Tobago, two beautiful tropical islands separated by water but governed by one government. These twin islands are small and the population is composed of a cosmopolitan race, where every creed and race has an equal place. I cherish every memory of my childhood over there, because in such small islands the populations of people are very close in the villages and everyone knows and looks out for each other. My grandmother was a very strong woman who took care of seven children on her own. She always told me that the key to success is a good education which she was not able to get much of, but wanted so desperately for me. My mother and father were excellent parents who instilled logical values and principles in me, making me the woman that I am today, but at the age of thirty-nine my father was diagnosed with type two diabetes and did not know the seriousness of his disease which ended his life one month before his fifty birthday. After experiencing such a lost I knew at that moment my mission in life was to educate people on how to take care of themselves and prevent such diseases.   

I am presently working in home care which gives me the hands on experience from the bottom of the health career ladder, but it also allows me to be a part of the health care team to interact with the nurses, doctors, therapist, social workers and the clients who needs help when they come out of the hospital or a health care facility.  After I have achieved my LPN license I intend to gain more experience in a health care facility and continue to clime the career ladder of nursing to the top. I see myself in another two years with my RN license and putting as many titles next to it. Learning is an ongoing requirement for nurse and I welcome it because knowledge is power and in order to be the best nurse possible I need to keep myself informed as much as I can.  

Being accepted into college was a big stepping stone for me towards my dream of becoming a nurse; after I migrated to America I saw that this was the land of opportunities where anything is possible regardless of your age, sex, or race. Having a strong self esteem has giving me the advantage to never give up on my mission to become a nurse, because every time I did not succeed at something I never gave up, I always got back up and tried hard and because of that determined nation I am in an accredited LPN program today working towards one of my goals