Big Efforts end with Outstanding Results

Monday, May 14, 2013 

My name is Maritza Ruiz Ruiz and I am a third-year, full time student at LaGuardia Community College. My major is Spanish-English Translation.

I describe myself as a creative and self-motivated person with excellent communication and interpersonal skills who loves to be around people who share my interests. Family is vital for me; throughout my life they have always been supporting me in every project I undertake. Their support makes me confident to think that I can reach any goal successfully. I am also capable of adapting to new circumstances and facing difficult situations and taking risks. I love to be in familiar environments and have friendships where I can truly express my feelings and opinions and share some common interests about education and technological developments. I strongly think that everything can be possible in life. Big efforts end with outstanding results. Honesty, respect and the ability to compromise are particular values that I have. I define myself as a perseverant and proactive woman who is willing to learn every day.

I like to be informed about what is happening around the world and know the possible consequences of those events and how they apply to my personal and professional life. I am studying hard to become an excellent interpreter capable of communicating effectively in both Spanish and English. I have taken “Composition I: An Introduction to Expository Writing”, “Introduction to Bilingualism”, “Advanced Composition in Spanish”, and “Fundamentals of Professional Advancement.” After finishing my Associate’s Degree I am planning to transfer to Hunter College where I will complete my Bachelor’s Degree in the interpretation field.

Since I came to the United States I have been studying English as my second language not only because it is necessary to have a second language but also because I found it really challenging at the beginning. It became my goal to be proficient in this language. I want to write as well I can write in my native language. With a previous Bachelor’s in Communication and Corporate Relations from the University of Medellin in Colombia, I have realized that I have an advantage because of my interpersonal and communication skills in Spanish. I am still refining my English skills so I can use them effectively, helping people and facilitating the communication of social issues between English and Spanish. Social issues touch me the most; I like to contribute to people’s lives by helping them find solutions to overcome difficulties in order to improve their lives.

Photograph by Anabelle Rivas / Personal Archive

“Success comes in cans, not cant's.”

Joel H. Weldon