Introduction

Click to View My Student ePortfolio

My name is Na Li, born and raised in China. I immigrated to The United States of America in May 2007 when I was 21 years old. Since then I have lived in Queens in New York City. I graduated from LaGuardia Community College in the Registered Nursing Program in December 2011. As you view my E-portfolio, I hope you will see how much I have grown academically to be a Registered Nurse.

My dream was always to become a doctor when I was young, and I put a lot of efforts to make it come true. I studied medicine in China Medical University for two and a half years before I moved to America. Because of the medical background I had, I resolutely chose to study pre-med classes in college and wanted to apply to Medical School. However, my adviser in LaGuardia Community College suggested me to consider Nursing as my major, and she told me how fantastic the nursing program in LaGuardia was. I did some research based on what I heard from my adviser, and the U.S. job market showed that there is a big nursing shortage. Eventually, I decided to change my major to nursing。

After my first clinic in Jamaica Hospital, I realized that changing my major to nursing was the best decision I have ever made, and I also appreciated my adviser’s suggestion that helped me choose my career path. I found that I love nursing very much, and what American nurses do is exactly what I expect to do for my patients. The more I learn in the professional nursing field, the more I love this career.  The role of a nurse in the US is very different from that in China. The sole duty of nurses in China is to give medications to patients, while the nurses in America have more responsibilities and provide more specific care for different patients.

In order to get good grades in those countless exams to accomplish my nursing education, I used to sleep only three to four hours every night, and I could not enjoy dinner with my family together on the holidays, and I could not hang out with my friends when they asked me out. I had to give up almost all the recreation and vacation for my study not only because I love my major, but also I wanted to graduate as soon as possible to become a real nurse. Then I can step on the hospital floor to take care of my patients. No matter how, I have achieved my short-term goals and finally become a Registered Nurse. I am very proud of being a nurse because nurses are the very first and closest caregivers for patients in need.  Now my personal goal is to become an excellent nurse and I hope I can watch my patients’ improvements day by day, and comfort my patients when they grieve, catch dangerous symptoms and save my patients’ lives.

ePortfolio Reflection

Music credit: Johannes Brahms