(updates in progress)
- Ph.D. in Theatre and Performance Studies, City University of New York Graduate Center, 2009. High Pass, written and oral doctoral comprehensive examinations.
- M.F.A. in Playwriting, University of Georgia, 1999. High Honors, Phi Kappa Phi. Study Abroad in Italy and England.
- B.A. in English/Performing Arts, minor in Visual Arts, Clemson University, 1995.
- City University of New York (CUNY) - LaGuardia Community College: Professor of English, September 2016- ; Associate Professor of English, 2012-2016; Assistant Professor of English, 2009-12; Instructor of English, 2008-9.
- CUNY - Bronx Community College: Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Communication Arts and Sciences, Spring 2008.
- CUNY - Borough of Manhattan Community College: Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Speech, Communications, and Theatre Arts, Fall 2007.
- CUNY - John Jay College: Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Communication and Theatre Arts, Fall 2007.
- CUNY - Baruch College: Communications Fellow, Bernard Schwartz Communications Institute, 2006-7.
- CUNY - City College: Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Theatre and Speech, Spring 2007.
- Marymount Manhattan College, Adjunct Professor, Department of Drama, 2004-2008.
- The University of Georgia, Adjunct Professor, Department of Theatre and Film, 1999-2000.
- "Strange Angels" in We-Us: Monologues for Gender Minority Characters. Smith & Kraus, 2023.
- "Rosa Luisa Márquez" in Fifty Key Figures in Latinx and Latin American Theatre, Routledge, 2022.
- On Writing Pedagogy and Plant-based Nutrition, T. Colin Campbell Center of Nutrition Studies, nutritionstudies.org, eCornell University, 2019.
- “Puré de loca,” monologue in Basta!: Latinas Against Gender Violence. Reno: Latino Research Center, University of Nevada, 2017.
- "unLearning Curves: Stripping the Myth of the 'Real Woman.'" Latin American Theatre Review, vol. 50, no. 1, Fall 2016.
- The Mosquito Net, a play, in Label Me Latina/o: Journal of Twentieth and Twenty-first Centuries Latino Literary Production, vol. IV, Issue 3, 2014.
- “Milagros de aquí y allá: Nilo Cruz’s Hortensia and the Museum of Dreams,” Center for Theatre Commons: Essays Practice, and Opinions, 2014. Web.
- "Let’s Get Ready to Rumba: Wrestling with Stereotypes in Kristoffer Díaz’s The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity" in Label Me Latina/o: Journal of Twentieth and Twenty-first Centuries Latino Literary Production, vol. III, Issue 2, 2013.
- "ePerformance: Crafting, Rehearsing, and Presenting the ePortfolio Persona" inInternational Journal of ePortfolio (iJeP) 1:1, 2011.
- "Interactive Forum Theatre for Research Questions" in Theresa McDevitt and Rosalee Stilwell, eds., Let the Games Begin: Engaging Students with Interactive Information Literacy Instruction, Neal-Schuman Press, 2011.
- "Delayed Flights: Representations of Homecoming and Operation Pedro Pan in Nilo Cruz's Hortensia and the Museum of Dreams," in Beatriz Rizk, ed., Recent Paradigms in Latino and Latin American Performing Arts, Ediciones Universal, 2010.
- Excerpts from The Box and Hurricane in a Glass in Emily Ciccini, ed., Mother/Daughter Monologues vols. 1 and 2, Columbus, OH: ICWP Press, 2009.
- "Eduardo del Rio’s One Island Many Voices" Book Review. Cuban Studies Journal 40, 2009.
- "The Lost Apple Plays" in Studies in 20th and 21st Century Literature: Theatre and Performance in Nuestra América Volume 32 Issue 2, 2008.
- Performance review of Teatro Avante's Yerma, International Hispanic Theatre Festival, Theatre Journal Volume 60, Number 2, 2008.
- "Holly Hughes" entry for Groiler Encyclopedia of Modern Drama, 2005.
- "Out of This World: Comparing Sensations of Transport among the Virtual Reality User, the Actor, and the Film Spectator." Perforations journal of performance art and technology, Issue 19: "Shadows on The Wall: The Virtues of the Unreal," 1999.
- The Box, one-act play. Collages & Bricolages: The Journal of International Writing, vol. XI, 1998.
- "Vivisectionist of Images," Book review of Kenneth Bernard's Clown at Wall, Collages & Bricolages: The Journal of International Writing, vol. XI, 1998.
- "Six Decades of Contested Freedom: Performing and Preserving the Pedro Pan Exodus." Freedom in the Luso-Hispanic World, Florida Atlantic University, 2022.
- "A Picasso Play, Some Pupils, and a Pandemic." South Atlantic Modern Language Association, 2021.
- "¿Neverland, o 'el Infierno Verde?:' Mario Ernesto Sánchez's Matecumbe: el vuelo de un Pedro Pan." 30th International Hispanic Theatre Festival, Miami, FL, July 2015.
- "Out of the Closet and Into the Kitchen: Negotiating Exclusion through dis/comfort food in plays by Janis Astor del Valle," Conference of the Latin American Studies Association (LASA), San Juan, PR, May 2015.
- "Learning Curves: 'Real' Women and the Power of the Unfetishized Flaca" and "Spotlight on Repertorio Español: A Scholarly Dialogue with Playwrights Carmen Rivera and Marco Antonio Rodríguez," The 2nd Biennial U.S. Latina/o Literary Theory and Criticism Conference, NYC, April 2015.
- “Miraculous Sites of Refuge, Resistance, and Renewal in Nilo Cruz’s Hortensia and the Museum of Dreams,” as part of co-chaired panel (with Eric Mayer García) "Dreaming in Cuban: (Re)Envisioning Rituals, Ceremonies, Plays, and Performances on the Island and in Exile,"Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) Conference, Scottsdale, AZ, July 2014.
- "Staging Latinidad: Reports from the field of recent productions of Latina/o and Latin American Plays: Akuara Teatro’s production of Fango (Mud) and Teatro Prometeo’s La conducta de la vida by María Irene Fornés," Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) Conference, Scottsdale, AZ, July 2014.
- "Marching with the Ladies in White: Ten Years of Protest in and Beyond Havana," Northeast Modern Language Association (NEMLA), Harrisburg, PA, April 2014.
- "Delayed Entrances: Dramatizations of Cuba's Unaccompanied Child Exiles," Rites of passage: Childhood in Latin America and the Caribbean at the American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA) New York University, March 2014.
- "End of Play: Coming of Age Quinceañera Rituals in U.S. Latina/o Theatre and Popular Culture," Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) Conference, Orlando, FL, August 2013.
- "Re-Visions of Afro-Cuban Santería: from Sacred Sacrifice to Digital Deities," African and Caribbean Theatre and Performance Panel, International Federation for Theatre Research (FIRT/IFTR), Barcelona, Spain, July 2013.
- "Next Year in Havana; Next Year in Jerusalem: Dramatic Recollections of Operation Pedro Pan and Kindertransport," Conference of the Society for the Study of the Multi-Ethnic Literature of the United States (MELUS), Pittsburgh, March 2013.
- "The English Only Law and Linguistic Intolerance" and "Dramatizing Operation Pedro Pan," The 1st Biennial U.S. Latina/o Literary Theory and Criticism Conference, New York, NY, March 2013.
- "Performing Protest: Global Responses to Damas de Blanco," Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) Conference, Washington, DC, August 2012.
- "Resurrecting Lorca: INTAR playwrights invoke Spain's National Dramatist," as part of the panel Scripting Latina/o Communities: Fornés's Hispanic Playwrights Laboratory, Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) Conference, Washington, DC, August 2012.
- Translating Pedro Monge's Lágrimas del alma," Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) Conference, Chicago, IL, August 2011.
- "Connecting Communities: the Collaborative ePortfolio," AAEEBL World ePortfolio Summit, July 2011.
- "Let's Get Ready to Rumba: Wrestling with Latino Stereotypes" (with Jason Ramírez), Popular Culture Association (PCA) National Conference, San Antonio, TX, April 2011.
- "Exchanging Islands: Nuyoricans in Perpetual Migration" (with Tara J. Hickman), New York Institute of Technology 7th Annual Interdisciplinary Conference:Latinos in NYC, New York, NY, March 2011.
- "Performing Reflections: ePortfolio as a 'Digital Forum Theatre,'" Association for Authentic, Experiential and Evidence-Based Learning (AAEEBL), Boston, 2010.
- "Not from Here: Students Stage Gringos, Habaneros, Boriqueños, and Afro-Latinos through Distant Dramaturgies across the Caribbean." Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) Conference, NYC, 2009.
- "Motherland, Miniature, and Memory in the Installation/Performance Art of María Brito and Ana Mendieta," American Society for Theatre Research (ASTR), San Juan, PR, 2009.
- "Escenificando a Nilo Cruz / Staging Nilo Cruz." XXIII Festival International de Teatro Hispano / International Hispanic Theatre Festival. Spanish Cultural Center / Cultural Español, Miami, 2008.
- "Performing These Nations in our Nation: Somos "Cubanglos," "Nuyoricans..." Dos Alas Theatre Highlights Two U.S. Latino Enclave Communities," Latin American Theatre Today Conference VII (LATT), April 2008.
- "Lost Apple Children," American Society for Theatre Research (ASTR), Phoenix, Arizona, 2007.
- "Crunching Earth Between Her Teeth: Revisions of African Beliefs and Legends in Performances by Ana Mendieta," FIRT/IFTR, International Federation for Theatre Research, South Africa, 2007.
- "Performance and Installation Art from the US-Cuban Unaccompanied Children's Exodus," Lengua y Literatura Conference XII, Department of Luso-Hispanic Literatures, Graduate Center City University of New York, 2007.
- "Performing Pedro Pan: Composing Cuba from Exodus to Exile," University of California Los Angeles, Department of Luso-Hispanic Literatures, 2006.
- "Fantasy Island: Re-Staging Cuba in the U.S.," University of Arizona, Global/Local: New Directions in Critical Theory conference, 2006.
- "In the Flesh: Feminist Performance and (Corpo)Realism," University of London, Institute of English Studies and the British Academy, SKIN: Texture/Textuality/Word/Image Conference, 2004.
- "In the White Room: Documentary Film in Museum Exhibition," Hawai'i International Conference of Arts and Humanities, University of Hawai'i, 2004.
- "From Doctors to Indoctrinators: Examining Kaspar Hauser," McGill University, Montréal, 9th Annual Symposium of Language and Literature, Blood Lust/Blood Loss: Representations of Struggle and Desire, 2003.
- "Costume Rendering: A Virtual Studio," United States Institute for Theatre Technology Southeast Conference, 1997.
- Copy Editor, Letters from Cuba and Other Plays by María Irene Fornés, Performing Arts Journal (PAJ) Publications, 2006.
- Managing Editor, Journal of American Drama & Theatre, 2000-2003.
- Hurricane in a Glass, dramatic reading at San Diego Repertory Theatre, 2014. Featured at Lunadas Reading Series at Teatro Luna, Chicago, IL, 2012. Produced at Breath of Fire Latina Theatre, 2009. First Prize, New Works Festival; world premiere production, Breath of Fire Theatre, Orange County California, 2008. Met Life Nuestras Voces national playwriting competition finalist, Repertorio Español, New York City, 2008. Maieutic Theatre Works Festival, Arclight Theatre, New York City, 2008. Latin American Theatre Today Festival, Blacksburg, Virginia, 2008. Teatro del Pueblo 7th Annual Political Theatre Festival, Minneapolis, 2008. Great Plains Theatre Conference featured play, Omaha, 2008. Arthur Saleen Theatre, New York City, 2007. Primary Stages Studios, New York City, 2006.
- Photo Shoot, for "Re-Works: Spanish Civil War," 14th St. Y Theatre NYC/MTWorks, 2013.
- The Mosquito Net, People's Theatre Project, public reading at Manhattan's historic Morris Jumel Mansion, NYC, June 2013.
- Croquetas & Kreplach, or What's on the Menu at Delancey Street Deli? Based on 1920s-style NYC vaudeville theatre/immigrant history. Commissioned and directed by Lynn M. Thompson, performed at University Settlement Theatre, Spoon Theatre, Martin Segal Theatre, New York City, 2010.
- A Glance at New York, America-in-Play commissioned collaborative adaptation of Benjamin Baker's 1848 script, Tribeca Performing Arts Center, NYC Tenement Museum, 2009.
- Anabel's Plum, Edward Albee’s Great Plains Theatre Conference, 2006.
- The Power of HEELing, WOW Café Theatre, New York, 2002. Bowery Poetry Club, 2002.
- The Killing Jar, The University of Georgia MFA thesis exhibition, 1999.
- China Moon, Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival finalist, 1997.
- The Box, 21st Century Playwrights Festival finalist, New York City, 1995.
Tears of the Soul, translated from Lágrimas del alma by Pedro Monge Rafúls, premiere reading at The 1st Biennial U.S. Latina/o Literary Theory and Criticism Conference, Haciendo Caminos: Mapping the Futures of U.S. Latina/o Literatures, New York, NY, March 2013.
- Performer, The Panza Monologues, “Intimate Acts: Banned Play Readings,” Association for Theatre in Higher Education, Scottsdale, AZ, 2014.
- Judge, Met Life Nuestras Voices National Playwriting Competition, 2012-13.
- Co-curator, "Listenings: A Morning with María Irene Fornés" by Oscar Colón, dramatic reading, Repertorio Español, 2012.
- Curator, "The Lost Apple Plays: Performances from the U.S.-Cuban Children's Exodus," featuring Nilo Cruz and Melinda López, NYC Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs Immigrant Heritage Week, 2008.
- Judge, Stellar Network Annual Play Competition, 2007.
- Director, Taste of Ashes by Guillem Clua, staged reading at Repertorio Español, 2006.
- Associate Producer, Prelude to Off-Broadway Theatre Festival NYC, 2004.
- Designer, Edwin Booth Ceremony Honoring Classical Theatre of Harlem, 2004.
- Curatorial Assistant, Whitney Museum of American Art, Film & Video, 2002.
- Director, Life According to My Machine (22 student one-act plays from BFA playwriting laboratory), University of Georgia, 1999.
- Director, What Rough Beast Slouches by Brad Fairchild, staged reading, University of Georgia, 1999.
- Dramaturg, Kaspar by Peter Handke directed by David Saltz, Interactive Performance Lab, University of Georgia, 1999.
GRANTS AND FELLOWSHIPS
- John H. Williams Memorial EDIT Grant, 2011.
- William Stewart Travel Award, 2011.
- Centro de los Estudios Puertorriqueños Caribbean Exchange Grant, 2008.
- Marty Tackel Travel Grant, 2008.
- Elly Chovel Fellowship, Operation Pedro Pan, Inc., 2008.
- Monroe Carell Dissertation Fellowship, 2008-9.
- President’s Fellowship, Graduate Center, CUNY 2000-2004.
- Co-founder, CUNY Latin@ Cultural Studies Conference, 2014.
- Invited Speaker, Academic Center for Excellence in Research & Teaching (ACERT), Hunter College, 2012.
- Invited Speaker, Center for Teaching and Learning, Queens College, 2011.
- Evaluator, City College Department of Theatre CCE candidate, 2011.
- Facilitator, CUNY Preparatory Examination Workshops, 2006-2010.
- Member, CUNY League of Active Speech Professors (CLASP), 2007-present.
- Member, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) 25th Anniversary Celebration Planning Committee, 2015.
- Participant, Open Educational Resources (OER) initiative, 2015.
- Invited Presenter, New Faculty Colloquium, Center for Teaching and Learning 2008-2015.
- Curator, Disability & Performance college-wide event with the Program for Deaf Adults and the Office for Student Disabilities, 2014.
- Co-founder and Planner, CUNY Latin@ Cultural Studies Conference, 2014.
- Presenter, Can Anyone Hear Me? CLASP conference, Humanities Department, 2014.
- Co-chairperson, Academic Technology Committee, 2012-13.
- Curator, Witty in Pink: Plays about Breast and Ovarian Cancer, with The Women’s Center and Studies of Women and Gender committee, 2013.
- Co-leader, Connected Learning and Integrative Pedagogy faculty seminar, 2011-2013.
- Judge, Play-on-Words Festival, LaGuardia Theatre Club, 2013.
- Planning committee, Experiments and Experiences in Online Education Faculty Expo, Center for Teaching and Learning, 2013.
- Moderator, Learning Matters Jam, Academic Affairs, 2013.
- Co-planner/facilitator, "Going Digital: A Changing Landscape for Higher Education," Instructional Staff Meeting, 2012.
- Sound Designer, Anna in the Tropics, Humanities Department, 2012.
- Chairperson, ePortfolio Leadership Team, 2011.
- Core Member, Connect to Learning (C2L) National Project (led by LaGuardia, funded by FIPSE), 2010-2013.
- Co-presenter, Opening Sessions, "Teaching the Digital Learner: A Spotlight on LaGuardia’s Integrative Pedagogies Using ePortfolio" for The 21st Century Learner: A Holistic Approach, 2012.
- Participant, Rethinking the Capstone Experience seminar, 2011-2012.
- Member, Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) Standard 1 (Mission & Goals), LaGuardia self-study, 2009-2011.
- Member, Oral Communication Benchmark Assessment Team, 2011.
- Participant, Writing in the Disciplines Seminar (WID), 2010-2011.
- Member, Oral Communication Benchmark Assessment Team, 2011.
- Presenter, Making Connections mini-conference, 2010.
- Member, Achieving the Dream focus group, 2010.
- Dramaturg and Program Designer, Hamlet, Humanities Department, 2010.
- Facilitator, CUNY Preparatory Examination Workshops, 2008-2010.
- Member, English Department Website Committee, 2015.
- Director, Hybrid/Online Learning, Department of English, 2012-2015.
- Member, Search Committee for Assistant Professor of English, 2013-2014.
- Founder and Chair, Departmental Latino Literature Committee, 2009-2014.
- Member, Studies for Women and Gender (SWAG), 2012-2014.
- Participant, English Archives Research Project (EARP), LaGuardia-Wagner Archive, 2009-2012.
- Co-Chair, Departmental Writing and Literature Major Committee, 2009-2011.
- Writing and Literature Program Co-Director for Outcomes Assessment Planning, 2009-2011.
- Member, Departmental Literature Electives Committee, 2008-2010.
- Member, Departmental Creative Writing Committee, 2008-2010.
- Member, The Dramatists Guild
- Member, International Centre for Women Playwrights
- South Atlantic Modern Language Association (SAMLA)
- Member, Latin American Studies Association (LASA)
- Member, Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE)
- Member, American Society for Theatre Research
- Member, People's Theatre Project NYC