- What does the 260/280 ratio indicate? A 260/280 ratio indicates whether a sample is pure of contaminated. A ratio of ~1.8 is accepted as pure for DNA and a ratio of ~2.0 is accepted as pure for RNA. However, if the ratio is low in either of the two it may be indicating that the sample is contaminated.
- What does the 260/230 ratio indicate? This ratio is used as a secondary measure of the purity of nucleic acid. The 260/230 ranges from 2.0-2.2, if the ratio is lower than this than we know that the sample may be contaminated.
- Calculate [C] using the formula to calculate [DNA] using A260
- [C] = Measured A260 x 50 ng/uL
- Average A260 of protist = 0.0305
- Average A260 of sperm = 2.6557
- [C] = 0.0305 x 50 ng/uL = 1.525 ng/uL
- [C] = 2.6557 x 50 ng/uL = 132.785 ng/uL