"Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you. "

Carl Sandburg

Hello, my name is Yan Ni. I come from China and have lived in America for almost two years. I am very happy to live here with my parents. Right now, I am a student at LaGuardia Community College. My major is Business Administration and I have 33 credits completed. This semester, I am taking 5 courses and I hope to get good grades in each class through my hard work.

Since enrolling at LaGuardia Community College,  I had  try very hard to  improve my skills in reading, writing, and speaking. This road helps me to achieve my professional goals. I like my major in business because I think a lot of things in our life can be related to it. For example, business major can help me to start my own business; choose a career; become a successful employee and to a better informed consumer and investor.

My friends describe me as a person who always likes challenges and new things. I do not fear failure because I believe that failure is the mother of success. I like to learn from my mistakes. This helps me become stronger.

I was a member of the Chinese Club at LaGuardia Community College. At this club I learned valuable skills in communicating with others, sharing cultural ideas and opinion, collaborated with other students to talk about academic and career goals. In the Chinese Club, I picked up leadership skills as well as public speaking abilities from the chairman who hosts the club. In addition to the Chinese Club, I have also taken an interest in learning yoga at my college. Yoga relaxes me and sharpens my attention to study and achieve higher personal goals. Through yoga I have also developed better fitness habits which increase my energy throughout the day to maintain my level of focus inside the classroom.

I hope to learn something about the hotel and hospitality industry and become a professional hotel manager in the future. I have already learned some useful skills from my work experiences, such as how to manage time. When I worked previously in a school, I learned how to set up and schedule children activities and studies so that they would have a satisfy school day. In addition, when I worked in a restaurant, I learned how to communicate with others and to provide good customer service for them. This  helped me become more brave and confident. I enjoy writing in my journal about my feelings,talking with my friends and watching sports. Unfortunately, I do not have enough time to go out with my friends, because I sacrifice my free time to study and also I need go to work on the weekend. I continue to communicate with people at work to develop my skills because it will relate to my future career.   

I plan to graduate in two years from LaGuardia Community College. After graduating, I will transfer to a senior collegeand continue my studies toward bachelor's degree in Business Administration. I hope to learn basic knowledge and the necessary skills that will shape me in my life. 

To view my Scholars E-portfolio reflection please click here